Updates

indefinite hiatus; i may not come back to the blog, but I'll leave it up anyway if anyone wants to take a look at any old posts etc. :)

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Review: Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Title: Wither
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pub. Date: March 22, 2011
Length: 358 Pages
Series: The Chemical Garden #1
Summary (from goodreads):
What if you knew exactly when you would die?
Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb — males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.
When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape — to find her twin brother and go home.
But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limited time she has left.

My Thoughts: I was pretty hesitant about reading Wither. Although the cover is beautiful, I'd heard a lot of negative and so-so thoughts on it and I began to think it just wasn't going to be for me. Of course, in the end I couldn't resist owning a book with such a lovely cover so I decided to buy it and give it a chance. And I've got to say- I'm happy with my choice.

First off, DeStefano's writing is absolutely beautiful. She has this gift where she could write about practically anything and I would still be captivated. Authors like that are few and far between. Also, she makes her characters come alive. By that I mean not only did I like her characters, I found them greatly developed and really felt for them.

Wither is an excellent debut for Ms. DeStefano. However, there were some plot holes (and a few other things) that kept me from falling in love with the book :/

5 comments:

  1. I agree with the plot holes, but hopefully they'll be answered in book 2. Overall I loved WITHER. It was the first "dystopian" or "futuristic" book I read, and I fell in love with it. So happy to see you enjoyed it as well.

    Diana
    ps. cuttee blog! love the vintage, I shall follow :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't care much for the plot holes - I loved the writing too much! I can't wait for Fever. - ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an INCREDIBLE idea for a blog! I am always looking for a new book! Now i found one!

    http://jimpricute.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't read this. I've been dying to though. But I just...haven't. Crazy! I'm glad you liked it. I'll definitely be picking it up soon. I can't stand it anymore lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite thing about this book is how beautiful it was- the lovely imagery, the soft language and tragic pictures of the other wives, contrasted with Rhine's anger. This beauty is bittersweet because of both the pain surrounding it and its false nature- most of it is human-controlled, hence the series name "The Chemical Garden." I'm excited for Fever and the adventure it promises.

    ReplyDelete

*A Lovely Little Book Blog is currently an award free blog. Thank you for thinking of me, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to complete the requirements that come along with the reward.*

I love comments. Leave one and make my day :)