Updates

indefinite hiatus; i may not come back to the blog, but I'll leave it up anyway if anyone wants to take a look at any old posts etc. :)

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Lock And Key by Sarah Dessen

Title: Lock and Key
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Speak
Pub. Date: May 2009
Pages: 432
Summary (from author's website):
What happens when your past is not just past, but wiped clean entirely? How do you figure out where you're going when you can't even claim where you've been? These were the questions that inspired Lock and Key. It's the story of a girl named Ruby who is abandoned by her mother and determined to make it on her own, even---and especially---when she is sent to live with her long-lost sister in a whole new world of privilege, family, and relationships. As Ruby learns, there's a big difference between being given help and being able to accept it. And sometimes, it takes reaching out to someone else to save yourself.
The description of Lock and Key really drew me in, but I'm not exactly sure what to say about this book. I loved the cover, the idea, and the importance of the key, but it felt like something was missing. I just couldn't get into this book like I thought I would. It was actually pretty good until about the 200 page mark, where it felt like the author was just writing to get it done, nothing else. I also expected more description of Ruby's life with her mom, but it was more like an outline of it. I guess that's how the whole book was to me, outlined without much depth. I'm giving Sarah another chance, though, because this is the first book of hers I've read; and I looked around and it seems like a few of her older books are better.
Would I recommended this book? Yes, I would. Because its a New York Times Best Seller and so many other people loved it; I think this book just wasn't for me.

***Note*** this cover is the UK version b/c I bought it from a seller there. 
♥SarahLydia


No comments:

Post a Comment

*A Lovely Little Book Blog is currently an award free blog. Thank you for thinking of me, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to complete the requirements that come along with the reward.*

I love comments. Leave one and make my day :)