Updates

indefinite hiatus; i may not come back to the blog, but I'll leave it up anyway if anyone wants to take a look at any old posts etc. :)

Friday, March 11, 2011

Review: The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder

Title: The Lipstick Laws
Author: Amy Holder
Publisher: Graphia
Pub. Date: April 4, 2011
Length: 240 Pages
Source: Netgalley 
Summary (from goodreads):
At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.   For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.   But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?
My Thoughts: I'm glad I didn't judge The Lipstick Laws by its cover, because it doesn't really appeal to me. I don't like how the lips take up the whole cover and the awkward way the candy heart sits inside them. I do, however, understand why this is the cover and the symbolism to it. 
The Lipstick Laws is one of those books that is laugh out loud funny but still full of meaning and with a good moral. April moved to Penford High School a year ago. She made only one friend, Haley Lucas, but Haley moved away and April was once again alone. At the start of sophomore year, April was partnered up with Britney Taylor in gym. Britney decided to take her "under her wing" when April told  her it was her first at the school, and soon she had all the popularity, friends, and  admiration from boys she had always wanted. But Britney isn't what April thought she was, and she has to decide how far she's willing to go to stay her friend.
This was a quick read, and in some part I wish it was longer, but there was never a dull or boring moment which I'm thankful of. Sometimes when I'm reading, I'm so bored that I skip ahead to the more interesting parts; and that was not the case with The Lipstick Laws. And although I don't think this almost-exact story  (okay, that doesn't make sense, but i don't know how else to explain it) could really happen in real life, I do think almost any girl can relate to this story: from  the girls who have wished to be accepted and feel popular to the mean girls who torture others. 
I loved April's personality, her humor, and watching her grow and change as a person. The Lipstick Laws was written as if April were telling you the story, which made it that much funner to read. In the beginning, I thought it would be written with way too much detail, but I quickly realized that was not the case. The Lipstick Laws was a fantastic debut from Amy Holder, and I can't wait for her next novel; which, who knows, may even be a sequel to this one, since the end wasn't a complete wrap up. 


Rating:
5 Moons

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the cover. This defintily sounds like a cute book. I'm going to have to get this one, once I get through the twenty-something books I have right now...
    Great post as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I've heard a lot about this. Not sure it's my kind of book. Glad you enjoyed it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx for being a follower.
    I followed back cos I Love bboks and ure blog is cute =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an e-galley of this from Netgalley, but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. I'll definitely try to fit it into my reading pile sometime in the next couple of weeks. Great review! I'm really glad you enjoyed it and didn't judge it by its cover. The cover is pretty, but at the same time very annoying. I guess it all depends on if you look closely at it or not, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

*A Lovely Little Book Blog is currently an award free blog. Thank you for thinking of me, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to complete the requirements that come along with the reward.*

I love comments. Leave one and make my day :)