Updates

indefinite hiatus; i may not come back to the blog, but I'll leave it up anyway if anyone wants to take a look at any old posts etc. :)

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review: Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

 I figured I'd try something new today, so I'm going to format this review in a different way than usual. Let's see how it goes :)

Title: Tempest Rising
Author: Tracy Deebs
Publisher: Walker Books
Pub. Date: May 10, 2011
Source: Princess Bookie's Contest Craze
Length: 352 Pages
Summary (from goodreads):
Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her—and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.

What I Liked:

The fighting scenes. To be honest, I haven't read very many stories with fighting scenes, but the ones I have haven't been all that great. Luckily, Tempest Rising gave me some good action scenes that were well described and realistic.

The mythology & how Tempest already knew about her heritage. Her knowing before hand as opposed to just finding out was a nice change from most YA books about mermaids I've read. I loved learning about the different creatures of the sea, the mythology, and the little things like why they could see underwater, things that I haven't seen in any other book before.

How caring and supportive Tempest was. She really cared for her two younger brothers and her father; and always considered them when making decisions. She was also very loyal and strong when it came to family.

What I Didn't Like:  

The ending. It was a bit sad, but that's not what bothered me. The ending seemed to be lacking something (I'm not going to say what, to avoid spoilers) and it doesn't look like there's going to be a sequel, which leaves me with some unanswered questions ...

The dialogue. I don't have much to say about this one, other than some of the things the people said seemed very fake to me, and didn't seem like something someone would actually say.

The relationship between Tempest & her mother. Maybe I should say Tempest's view on their relationship instead, because it's a lot more that than just their relationship that bothered me. Tempest seemed really stubborn about the whole thing, not even willing to give her mother the chance to give her side of the story or listen to what other people had to say about it.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I've wanting to pick up this book, just not so sure. I'm glad you pointed out that she already knew she was mermaid, I'm kind of tired of reading books about characters who don't know what they are until a strange, hot new boy comes along.

    ReplyDelete

*A Lovely Little Book Blog is currently an award free blog. Thank you for thinking of me, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to complete the requirements that come along with the reward.*

I love comments. Leave one and make my day :)