Updates

indefinite hiatus; i may not come back to the blog, but I'll leave it up anyway if anyone wants to take a look at any old posts etc. :)

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Review: Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers

Title: Fall For Anything
Author: Courtney Summers
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pub. Date: December 21, 2010
Length: 230 pages
Summary (from goodreads):
When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the nagging question of why? Why when he was a legendary photographer and a brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw? And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone else in the world? When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Culler seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?
My Thoughts:  I had pretty high expectations for Fall For Anything...and I was not disappointed at all! It is easily one of my favorite books; I could read it over and over again without getting bored. I love the cover. It is just striking.
Courtney Summers is probably my favorite author out there. She's been known as the 'Queen of Mean' for writing up compelling mean girls, but that's not what made me love Fall For Anything. No, in this story Eddie is not popular, she hasn't dated the most popular guy in school, and has never bullied. She is vulnerable and broken. 
"My hands are dying." The first sentence of the novel, the four words that stay with me through the whole book. Eddie has not felt alive since her father's suicide. She's a mess, and she wants answers. They even seem close enough to touch when she meets her father's student, Culler Evans. He understands Eddie and her obsession; but is he everything Eddie thinks he is?
 I love all the relationships in Fall for Anything. For example, Eddie's complicated friendship with Milo (and the confusion with Missy) had me completely curious with what would happen next. I also loved the relationships between Eddie and her mother, and Eddie with her father. I even found myself interested in the hate relationship between her and Beth. The characters and their actions felt so real, it made me love the novel even more.
Furthermore, I have to mention how beautiful Summers' writing is. With Fall for Anything, and all her other books, just the way the story is written makes me want to devour it. They are written in such a way that takes fictional feelings and makes them pulse through me. Fall for Anything is a book that takes a master to create. Courtney Summers is that master.
Rating:
5 Moons

No comments:

Post a Comment

*A Lovely Little Book Blog is currently an award free blog. Thank you for thinking of me, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to complete the requirements that come along with the reward.*

I love comments. Leave one and make my day :)