Updates

indefinite hiatus; i may not come back to the blog, but I'll leave it up anyway if anyone wants to take a look at any old posts etc. :)

Monday, January 17, 2011

Review: Matched by Ally Condie

 Title: Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Publisher: Dutton
Pub. Date: November 30, 2010
Length: 366 pages
Series: Matched #1
Summary (from goodreads):
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.
The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.
My thoughts: When I first heard of Matched, I thought it would be too much like another book, The Giver by Lois Lowry. Unfortunately, I was right. The book was just too much like The Giver for me to enjoy completely. I am, however, completely in love with the cover of Matched and its relation with story.
Cassia lives in a world completely controlled by people known as The Society. They do everything, including chose what you eat and who you 'love'. Cassia has just turned seventeen and has been matched with one of her best friends, Xander. She is happy with the match, until the screen flashes the face of Ky and fades to black. Although she has been taught The Society is always right, Cassia can't help but wonder if The Society is really as perfect as everyone thinks.
I liked Cassia's voice; and although I could understand where she was coming from, I found her annoying at times. Usually in romances like this one I want the girl to end up with the best friend, but in this one I preferred Ky. Xander was just too kind and seemed over protective ( he had an Edward Cullen feel to him), which I didn't like. However, I did feel bad for Xander when he found out about Cassia and Ky because you could tell he really cared for her.
Matched is very well written, but nothing amazing (the last quarter was really good- the best part of the story). After hearing so many people rave about the book, I couldn't help but be disappoint with the overall outcome of the story. I expected more. More action, more romance... you get the idea. I'm looking forward to reading Crossed, the next book in the series scheduled for release sometime this year.
Rating:
3.5 Moons


No comments:

Post a Comment

*A Lovely Little Book Blog is currently an award free blog. Thank you for thinking of me, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to complete the requirements that come along with the reward.*

I love comments. Leave one and make my day :)