Updates

indefinite hiatus; i may not come back to the blog, but I'll leave it up anyway if anyone wants to take a look at any old posts etc. :)

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Review: Lost in the River of Grass by Ginny Rorby

Title: Lost in the River of Grass
Author: Ginny Rorby
Publisher: Carolrhoda
Pub. Date: March 28, 2011
Source: Netgalley
Length: 264 Pages
Summary (from goodreads):
A science-class field trip to the Everglades is supposed to be fun, but Sarah's new at Glades Academy, and her fellow freshmen aren't exactly making her feel welcome. When an opportunity for an unauthorized side trip on an airboat presents itself, it seems like a perfect escape—an afternoon without feeling like a sore thumb. But one simple oversight turns a joyride into a race for survival across the river of grass. Sarah will have to count on her instincts—and a guy she barely knows—if they have any hope of making it back alive.
Lost in the River of Grass takes on the classic survival genre using one of the country's most unique wild places as a backdrop. In this tense, character-driven thriller, Sarah must overcome prejudice and the unforgiving wilderness in a struggle to survive.

My Thoughts: Lost in the River of Grass is the kind of book I would have loved if I were a few years younger than I am. It was a good read with a beautiful cover, but it didn't really do anything for me. It was like this: I started the book, I finished the book, and then I had to review the book. And I didn't know what to say. Nothing really seemed to grab me, except for the fact that the story was unique in how it was set in the Everglades.

I think it was sweet that the author wrote this story based on her husband's experiance (as quoted from her website): “Lost in the River of Grass is based on the true story of my husband’s ill-fated trip to the Everglades with his then girlfriend in his airboat. While they were ‘visiting’ one of the hunting camps in the Everglades, the airboat sank. It took them three days to walk out.”

Not every author can write a good survival story, but Ginny Rorby did. It was realistic, and there were no crazy, unbelievable things happening to Sarah and Adam out there in the Everglades. It was nice reading and learning about all the different plants and animals in the wild as well as the survival skills used to survive out there.

Looking back on it, I think I enjoyed this book more than I've let on. I would recommend Lost in the River of Grass to anyone looking for a good survival story, but I don't think you should expect it to be absolutely amazing.

3 comments:

  1. A Lovely Review.I got this book from NetGalley and ever since than it has been lying in my Net Galley pile.Thanks to this review I will be digging it out soon.Glad you enjoyed the book.I feel the story is slightly different than what I'm used to reading and probably will prove to be interesting in a Titanic-way.Old follower stopping by.
    Mia
    http://bookaholic5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like your blog!! check mine out, www.girlwithbook.blogspot.com
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm. I hadn't heard of this book but it sounds like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for writing the review!

    ReplyDelete

*A Lovely Little Book Blog is currently an award free blog. Thank you for thinking of me, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to complete the requirements that come along with the reward.*

I love comments. Leave one and make my day :)