Updates

indefinite hiatus; i may not come back to the blog, but I'll leave it up anyway if anyone wants to take a look at any old posts etc. :)

Friday, April 15, 2011

Review: Unwind by Neal Schusterman

Title: Unwind
Author: Neal Schusterman
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pub. Date: November 6, 2007
Length: 335 Pages
Series: Unwind  #1
Summary (from goodreads):
Connor, Risa, and Lev are running for their lives.
The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.
My Thoughts: I'd just like you guys to know that this is a reread, so I don't exactly have that big urge to rave about it to everyone anymore ( though I did the first time I read it), but I figured since I've been mentioning it around the blog so much lately I may as well write a review. That being said, I may be making references to the strong way I felt about the book the first time I actually read it.
Unwind is one of those books that will linger for quite some time. It's just so amazing in so many different ways, that even after having read it a few times, I am simply amazed by how wonderful it is. The story begins with a problem. It's not necessarily the type of problem you can fix either, because the problem is this: Connor, Risa, and Lev are all more or less about to die, and there's they can do to nothing to stop it. Of course, they don't actually die (at least not in the beginning!!), because then there wouldn't be a story to tell, would there?
Unwind was so much more than I had expected.  That being said, I don't know exactly what I had expected going into the book, but it wasn't the depth and intensity I found. The characters were wonderful, all real and relate-able, and although the story is written in third person, I also loved the writing. It's a book I would definitely recommend, especially to fans of dystopian's, sci-fi's, and anyone looking for a slightly creepy read.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED UNWIND! This book was absolutely on my all-time favorite reads!

    Aryelle @ ReadingwiththeFishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to read this book, but I took out so many books from the library I never got to it >> I'm going to have to pick it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but I gave you an award before I read your blurb above!! Check Ink'd Out to see it n_n

    ReplyDelete

*A Lovely Little Book Blog is currently an award free blog. Thank you for thinking of me, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to complete the requirements that come along with the reward.*

I love comments. Leave one and make my day :)