Updates

indefinite hiatus; i may not come back to the blog, but I'll leave it up anyway if anyone wants to take a look at any old posts etc. :)

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Review: This Girl is Different by JJ Johnson

Title: This Girl is Different
Author: JJ Johnson
Publisher: Peachtree Publishers 
Pub. Date: April 1, 2011
Source: Netgalley
Length: 320 Pages
Summary (from goodreads):
This girl is different… That’s what Evie has always told herself—and it’s true. Home-schooled by her counter culture mom, she’s decided to see what high school is like for the first time—for her senior year. And what a year it is.
As it turns out, it’s not just Evie who’s Different. Lots of people are. Many of her assumptions about others are turned on their heads as she makes friends with kids her own age for the first time, discovers what’s good and what’s bad about high school, and learns lessons about power and its abuse—both by the administration and by Evie herself.
My Thoughts: This Girl is Different is, hence the title, so different than most YA books published today. I can't just point a finger at a certain part and say, "This is what made it so unique," because there were a lot of aspects and events and types of people that made it that way. There was Evie: who spoke her mind,  her mother Martha: a new age Hippie, the... well, I don't want to give anything away. So, as to not ruin your  reading experience, I'll just tell you that the whole environment made This Girl is Different a nice breath of fresh air.
JJ Johnson has created some real lovely characters. I love how unique Evie was. She wasn't a damsel in distress or a mean girl, like most main characters in YA today. Instead, she dominates the story by being capable of doing things herself, speaking her mind, and having a high self-esteem (I had to say it. There are a lot of MCs out there that think so poorly of themselves and Evie was a nice change). My favorite character, however, was not Evie. It was her mother Martha. She was more of a laid back kind of mom, who knew what most boyfriend/girlfriends do and was okay with it; She was smart, strongly supported Evie, and loved to travel.  I'm also in love with the way she talked. She was so kind, funny and used phrases/words such as, "darling, my love, etc." And I love anyone who talks like that. ♥
This Girl is Different was a nice read, with a good cover and strong characters. It isn't anything to rush and put at the top of your TBR list, but if you're looking for something unique, pick it up soon.

Rating:
3.5 Moons

3 comments:

  1. Hm, the book does sound quite unique and I really like the cover. I'll definitely have to check this one out eventually. Great review! I hope you like Dear John! I loved the book as well as the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, excellent review! I cannot, repeat, CANNOT believe it didn't follow you yet! I totally thought I did!! I am so sorry! But I really love your blog! Thanks so much for following Ink'd Out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! And that's fine, Sonny; No need to apologize. :)

    ReplyDelete

*A Lovely Little Book Blog is currently an award free blog. Thank you for thinking of me, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to complete the requirements that come along with the reward.*

I love comments. Leave one and make my day :)