Updates

indefinite hiatus; i may not come back to the blog, but I'll leave it up anyway if anyone wants to take a look at any old posts etc. :)

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Title: An Abundance of Katherines
Author: John Green
Publisher: Dutton
Pub. Date: September 21, 2006
Length: 227 Pages
Summary (from goodreads):
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.
On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl.
Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself by Printz medalist John Green, acclaimed author of Looking for Alaska.

My Thoughts: I've been very excited to read An Abundance of Katherines ever since reading two of John's other works, Paper Towns and Will Grayson, Will Grayson (which he co-wrote with David Levithan). I can safely call myself a fan of his; I love his writing, characters, and, of course, his humor. While I still liked all of these aspects in An Abundance of Katherines, they seemed to be.... less compared to his other novels. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, honestly, I just couldn't connect with the story and felt as if it were missing something.

I know you all must be expecting me to go into detail as to why this book didn't do it for me, but I'm not going to. I can't. An Abundance of Katherines is simply one of those few books that was completely average. It wasn't bad but it wasn't particularly good either. Overall, I just... I don't know. I was disappointed with it and really expected more from John Green.

No comments:

Post a Comment

*A Lovely Little Book Blog is currently an award free blog. Thank you for thinking of me, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to complete the requirements that come along with the reward.*

I love comments. Leave one and make my day :)