Updates

indefinite hiatus; i may not come back to the blog, but I'll leave it up anyway if anyone wants to take a look at any old posts etc. :)

Monday, August 15, 2011

Review: Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

Title: Imaginary Girls
Author: Nova Ren Suma
Publisher: Dutton
Pub. Date: June 14, 2010
Length: 348 Pages
Summary (from goodreads):
Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.
But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.
With palpable drama and delicious craft, Nova Ren Suma bursts onto the YA scene with the story that everyone will be talking about.

My Thoughts: I really love the whole idea behind Imaginary Girls; it's a story I won't forget for a long, long time. Imagine a completely unique story with unexpected twists and turns, astounding characters, and beautiful writing, then bring it to life. This novel is what you would get.

There is so much I could say about this book, words that would lengthen this review and make it hundreds of sentences long. I loved practically everything about it, from the characters to the writing to the setting. I'm not going to say all that though, instead I'll just give you my word that it was truly wonderful.

Despite all the greatness of this book, there is one thing I can't get past: Imaginary Girls is one of those books you have to pay complete and total attention to, which means reading in a quiet place when you don't have much on your mind. Of course, I'm saying this because that happened to me. 

I'm currently in the middle of rereading it, in hopes of understanding more and catching things I missed the first time around. The truth is, while I loved the writing, the plot, the characters, even the cover, I found myself confused at times and was left with that sort of feeling once finished with the novel. Overall, I'd say I enjoyed this book. I'd still recommend it, even with the flaw that kept it from being one of my favorites.

4 comments:

  1. I finished this book last week. I completely agree with you that you have to devout yourself 100% to it. The language and writing style demands it. Plus, I was still a little confused at the end, but perhaps that's what Nova wanted readers to feel.

    Also, I’m a new follower— wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome review.

    and thanks for the heads-up about needing to get right in the zone for it.

    i am thinking i really should get my hands on a copy of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've seen this around a bit, but haven't gotten a chance to read it or anything yet. It's on my tbr list, though.

    Thanks for mentioning about paying close attention. I haven't seen anyone say anything about that yet, but it's good to have a heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is indescribably beautiful, haunting and surreal. I don't want to have my weak words cloud your judgement. This is not a book I'd usually read, but the cover was so beautiful and my sisters are two of the most important people in the world to me... so I decided to give it a read. I'm glad I did. I will be honest with you. It was tough for me to read at times. You won't burn through this in one sitting like the cotton candy or addictive style YA reads. The prose is absolutely gorgeous and the plot.. well it's a bit of a mindf@*%. Honestly still trying to wrap my head around what was reality, what was in Chloe's imagination, etc. I seriously cannot describe it. It's magical, mysterious, frightening, and ethereal. That's all I can really say. If you like books that make you question what is real and what isn't or if you have a sister that you love more than anything, this book is a must read.

    ReplyDelete

*A Lovely Little Book Blog is currently an award free blog. Thank you for thinking of me, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to complete the requirements that come along with the reward.*

I love comments. Leave one and make my day :)